The town of Nordhausen is the gateway to the Harz.
Until 1802 Nordhausen was a free royal city in Thüringen, where the Schnapps distilleries brought wealth. Today she is a thousand years old city with around 44.000 inhabitants, the district capital of Nordhausen im Harz. In the historical old city there is a Roman-Gothic Dom Church and the Blasii Church, from which the old city unwinds with cafes, businesses, and galleries.
Following the widening ways of Luther there are eleven stations in the city Nordhausen.
Every Sunday at 14:00 a public tour is held at Nordhausen. The starting and ending point is the statue of the knight Roland, the symbol of the city. For more information click here.
Because of the Lutherjubilee in 2017 the Freistaat Thüringen formed a starshaped path that till 2017 connects more than 30 places together. The part of the path that crosses Nordhausen is marked by 11 signs at places that are significant for the Reformation in Nordhausen.
For more information click here for the flyer on backgrounds and stops of the Lutherpath in Nordhausen.
Nordhausen introduced the Reformation already quite early, about which Martin Luther enthused, “There is no city in the Harz other than the one which submitted itself so early to the Gospel as the city of Nordhausen, for which she will be honoured before God and all others in every life”.